About Bethlehem

Our Philosophy 

Our congregation's purpose is to give visible form to that faith and fellowship to which God has called His people. We acknowledge ourselves to be a local manifestation of the universal church through which Jesus Christ continues to minister to the world by His Holy Spirit. We shall seek to fulfill this calling through worship services, through a program of Christian nurture by which our members may be built up in their faith and love through proclamation of the Gospel by word and deed and through ministering to human needs in the name of Christ.
 

OUR HISTORY

Bethlehem Baptist Church was founded in 1918 after realization of the need for a closer church than its existing sister church, First Baptist in Midlothian, VA. The new church was to serve congregants in the Robius Road, Huguenot Road and James River areas.
 

A History of Pastors, Interim Pastors and Associate Ministers:

Rev. A. Overby (1918 – 1924)

Rev. A.M. Kent (1925 – 1929)

Rev. Roscoe Banks, Sr. (1939 – 1967)

Rev. Floyd Brown (1968 – 1974)

Rev. C. C. Dickerson (1975 – 1980)

Rev. Floyd Willis (1980 – 1982)

Rev. Louis Vaughan (1986 – 1992)

Rev. Richard Fowlkes (1996 – 2000)

Rev. Dr. Katherine Bassard, Interim Minister (2000 – 2001), Associate Pastor (2001 – 2004)

Rev. Hubert Christian, Associate Minister (2001 – 2010)

Rev. Shelia Hicks, Associate Minister (2007 – 2009)

Rev. Dr. Eugene Brown, II (2001 – 2009)

Rev. Dr. Ethyel C. Coleman (2010 – present)


In 2007, we celebrated the grand opening of our newly constructed building under the leadership of Pastor Dr. Eugene S. Brown, II.

On March 14, 2010, Rev. Dr. Ethyel C. Coleman was installed as pastor. He is a dedicated preacher and teacher of God’s Word who leads by “word and deed.” Under his inspirational leadership, the church has grown greatly both spiritually and numerically. He teaches weekly bible study, is actively involved in church ministries including our choirs, and our men’s, usher and missionary ministries. Rev. Coleman has also ordained an associate minister - Rev. Dr. Geneva Coleman, added three deacons and deaconesses, and increased the church’s membership and spiritual growth.